Switchcraft, Inc. was established in 1946 to manufacture jacks, plugs, and switches,
mainly for the communications industry. The original plant was located on West Diversey
Street in Chicago. The company moved to a larger facility at 1328 North Halsted
Street in 1948 and in 1958, the operation moved to a 185,000 square foot facility
located at 5555 North Elston Avenue, which is still the headquarters and the largest
of three manufacturing locations for the corporation today.
In 1977, Switchcraft was bought by the Raytheon Corporation and it operated as an
independent subsidiary in its Commercial division for twenty years. During this
time, Switchcraft expanded its production capability to include vertical integration,
for cost effective manufacturing in the United States. They also expanded into harsh
environment connector products, which expanded the market growth of the company.
In 1997 Raytheon made a strategic decision to focus solely on the defense industry.
As a result, they divested their interests in all of their commercial holdings.
At that time Switchcraft was sold to company management and a private equity company.
In 1999, Switchcraft acquired Conxall, a manufacturer of circular connectors and
cable assemblies, in order to expand their offering of harsh environment connectivity
products. They are located in a 32,000 square foot facility in Villa Park, IL. This
strategic acquisition helped to position Switchcraft for expanded growth in the
In 2011, Switchcraft was acquired by HEICO Corporation and became part of their
Electronic Technologies Group. Switchcraft is a major supplier of harsh environment
connectivity products to the Industrial market and the premier connectivity provider
to the Pro-Audio & Broadcast Industries.